Acupuncture Obstetric Care
To explore our other acupuncture related services, please see the main acupuncture page.
- Sciatica, and Symphysis Pubis disfunction, migraines.
- Hyperemesis, early pregnany nausea.
- Flu, common cold, bronchitis, sinusitis, (especially when avoiding antibiotics and steroids).
- Kidney complaints.
- Blood pressure.
- Restless Legs, itch.
- Energetic and psychological preparation for labour.
Labour – 1st & 2nd Stages
- Augmentation with acupuncture can assist or prevent the use of syntocinin and prostoglandins, by stimulating the nerve plexus of the Sacral region.
- Stabilization of blood pressure.
- Reduction in anxiety, which can increase level of distress, panic and pain.
- Control of pain by use of needles both locally to sacral region, which results in release in endorphins, and also which affect the sacral nerve plexus which supply the uterine muscles.
- Causing more efficient stimulation of the muscles, resulting in smooth progression of labour, with reduction of pain.
- By stimulating the Sacral nerves, this assists the action of ergometrine, and thereby reducing the incidence in retained placenta. (The use of acupuncture without ergometrine, may also result in successful delivery of placenta.)
- Assisting the efficiency of the returning of the uterus to strong muscular tone.
- Relaxation, and prevention and treatment of postnatal depression and psychosis, by deep relaxation and stabilization of hormones.
- Pain relief of labial or vaginal tears.
- Soothing of the pain in Postnatal contraction, ( afterbirth pains)
- Assisting in the action of prolactin in efficiency of milk production.
- Post traumatic shock in difficult birth.